Sunday, October 12, 2008

Dear Abba

Dear Abba,

Hello, Father. I realize it's been a while since we last spoke, but I hope you don't think that's because I haven't wanted to. I've been tied up lately with the family, my job, and a new area.

I've thought about you from time to time, but I've been thinking a lot about you lately. I can't seem to get you out of my mind now, but I'm really not trying to. I'd like to pick our relationship back up again, but with so much time apart, I feel that I have to re-learn who you are. I hope this doesn't offend you, as this is not my intent. But with so much time separating us, I feel I have no other choice.

I realize this could be a little hard to accept, with me just trying to walk back into your life. But this has been the nature of our relationship for as long as I can remember. I'd walk out on a limb, start to fall, and ask for your help. It's almost as if you've reminded me that I don't always keep up my end of the bargain in this relationship. And I really hate feeling like the only time we talk is when I need something from you. I'm concerned that you might feel that all I am is a taker, when it's really the furthest thing from the truth. I've tried, at certain times, to make you proud of me and what I've become. I hope the culmination of who I am now is someone that you can feel proud of.

So, it is with great desire that I express to you that I'd like a renewed relationship with you. I'd like to feel your love more as a result of the time spent with you, as opposed to obligations that you've made by helping me through every trial and tribulation in my life. I will still need your help from time to time - I don't see a point in the future where that will not be the case. But I don't intend on making that the sole reason for my relationship with you. I'd like to be a beacon of light that radiates to others so that they may see: I love you as well.

I appreciate everything you've ever done for me, and everything you will do for me in the future. I only hope I can reciprocate and do things, positive things, for you as well. I understand that it takes two for any relationship to last.

So let this be a renewed vow. I promise to re-engage. I promise to make time for you. I promise to hold you close to my heart. I promise to recognize the moral lessons that you've taught me. I promise to love you. I promise to not take advantage of you, or take you for granted. And I promise to never forget that you love me too.


With Love,
Joe

2 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger Anthony said...

Beautiful.

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Brother Joe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home