Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Honor Thy Gnosis

"What makes us free is the Gnosis"

Credo
Apostolic Johannite Church


I'm constantly finding myself in a struggle to define in terms what "Gnosticism" is. Because of this, I'm put in a position to rationalize the experience. While this doesn't lead to automatic suppression of any such experience, it can when the gnosis is ignored for the Gnosticism.

With this in mind, I've almost found a definition of Gnosticism that I'm happy with. Through silent observation of dialogue over at Jordan Stratford's blog, I saw a good opportunity to actually sum up in words what it means. Sorry, Jordan+, if I'm stealing any such definition.

Gnosticism comes from the Greek word "gnosis." Gnosis is a universal experience of the Divine that exists within and around every religion. Gnosticism is a specific religion designed to amplify and enhance the experience of Gnosis.

There you have it.

This is as simple a definition as I can give without trying to TELL someone what Gnosis is (a task that can prove quite difficult). As well, I think it honors the experience of gnosis as being central to Gnosticism.

Peace.

1 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that Valentinian Credo ("What makes us free is the gnosis?") actually employed by the AJC?

As for definitions, what a tough thing that is indeed, as any kind of definition tends to limit and confine the thing we are defining. However, we can't understand or communicate without definitions, so it's worth the effort, so long as we remember that Gnosis itself (like the Pleroma) is indescribeable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home