Saturday, August 05, 2006

My Job and My Passion

I'm tired.
No, really.
I've just finished working 12 days straight, maybe 130 hours or so. Management changes within one of the regions that my company operates have left the need for some well trained managers to "step up," as the company puts it.

So I work. I go where I'm needed, stay at the grind all day, and go home. No one asks my opinions, but everyone wants my help.

I come home, and my wife - God bless her...she's so beautiful. She's three and a half months pregnant, and she is trying so hard to help me. She washes my clothes, cooks me dinner...she's great. She puts up with my long hours at work, and listens to my ramblings about my job and my religion. She cares nothing about Gnosticism, other than what it means to me. She tries to act like she cares, but I know she doesn't. It's not her fault. It's my thing, not hers.

So I study. I write my own little opinions on things that I am told to reflect on, and then I read and study some more. It's brain work, but it's what I need.

I go to bed, and then I wake up and do it again the next day.

I realized this afternoon, while I was working out in the sun, that my job was pretty pointless. There's no real need for the line of work that I'm in, as it's just another mindless job that appreciates hard mucles. For those who don't know, I am a field manager for corporate owned carwash company.

Pretty brainless work, I might add. I work, I help my customers, and I tend to my employees. My job could disappear off the face of the planet tomorrow, and nothing in this world would change.

This is my outlet - Gnosticism. Where I change into something different is here, away from my job. I am Joe, a private practicing Gnostic with aspiring hopes to join the Priesthood of the Apostolic Johannite Church, an esoteric gnostic communion. This is where I will make the difference that I seek in the world. This is where my work becomes important. This is what I have a passion for.

My job is important to me and my family. It helps me sustain a respectable atmosphere in the community with ups and downs. It is my job.

Gnosticism, however - that's my life. Gnosis is my passion.

1 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Blogger Shawn™ said...

I completely understand.

I am a graphic designer for Harfield & Associates. Essentially I spend my day making Honda ads look pretty. Any monkey could do it, but it pays well. I happen to be pretty fast at it so they keep me around.

But it doesn't define me. I work to eat, that's it. How I look at the world does, how I choose to interact in it, and how I hope to affect the people I meet.

My wife is 8 months pregnant with the 2nd child. She will discuss it but she doesn't are for the philosophy side, the look beneath the surface need that I have. I want to KNOW.

Peace Brother

Shawn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home