Friday, August 11, 2006

Living Gnosticism: Question 3

From Fr. Jordan Stratford's blog: Living Gnosticism: 20 Questions

3.
(a) As a Gnostic, have you achieved gnosis?
(b) What is your experience of gnosis?
(c) If gnosis is “knowledge”of the Divine, do you believe in God?

A.
(a)I believe I have, but in sprinkles. It came the first time when I stopped trying to find gnosis outside of myself. When I stopped saying "now I'm going to find gnosis", it came. You don't find gnosis...you realize it.

(b)For me, Gnosis is not a “knowledge” per se, but more of a realization of the spirit in relation to the rest of reality. When focused, I can center myself on just my consciousness, and feel the difference between that awareness and mere bodily sensations. When gnosis is realized, you know that what we normally define as "reality" is the mere illusion of electrical impulses to the brain (I know, sounds like another Matrix cliche, but it's the truth). When you can differentiate between the sense of bodily reality and the actual *conscious*, then you are there. This is the greater consciousness.

(c) To be in touch with that part of your consciousness - to truly be aware of reality - is to have that communion with the Divine. To this end, there is no need - or room - for“belief” in God. Belief requires faith. Faith, by its definition, requires that you hold true to ideas that you cannot undoubtedly know beyond doubt. You don’t need to believe because you *know*.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home