Friday, August 25, 2006

Expressing Gnosticism

From Fr. Jordan Stratford's blog: Living Gnosticism: 20 Questions

4. How do you express your Gnosticism in your daily life?

A. I try to apply it several different ways.

First, I slow down. Too many people miss the simple pleasures in life because they’re in such a hurry to do everything. I try not to rush too much from place to place, because I don’t want to rush through my sensations. I like my sense of smell, personally. I love to smell the roses that bloom in my yard, to smell the trees around me, and take a big breath of fresh air.

I like to also show compassion wherever I go; my wife often yells at me because I’d rather put the spider outside instead of stepping on it. This isn't always easy, however. It's usually easier to be the apathetic stranger who never helps anyone. I go to blood drives. I donate money. When possible, I try to volunteer my help (doesn't have to be to charities; just helping someone move is enough).

While it is often a struggle, I try to realize that most people are affected by their surroundings, whether positive or negative. Therefore, when I’m around other people, I try to be a positive force, so that they will take that bit of positivity to the next person. If I can brighten up someone’s day on Tuesday, that might keep them from killing themselves or someone else years later.

Babysteps.

Everything I practice flows naturally from within. I don't force myself to be the way I am. As the saying goes, "I AM THAT I AM." Gnosis expresses itself. You just have to allow it to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint. But I have a terrible attack from my "conscience" whenever I don't follow through with my initial feelings. The Gospel of Thomas gives an excellent saying regarding the conscience (at least that's my take):

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.

Gospel of Thomas
Saying 70

Pax

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home