Saturday, June 24, 2006

I Beat the Archons...


That's right. I beat them. I destroyed them. They thought they had me, but I blew them out of the water.

How did I do it?

As I was cleaning the toilet paper out of the tree in my front yard, I found myself amazingly perturbed. If I find the kids who did this, I'll kill them. It wasn't impossible. My neighbors across the street have a camera pointed right in front of their yard, so it could have easily caught the images of those who did it. Just wait. I'll get you.

As I got the easier pieces to reach down off the lower branches, I had to use a piece of 10-foot PVC pipe I had laying in my backyard to try to knock some more down. The toilet paper then seemed to kind of gracefully move around the pipe, making it more irritating and futile to get the rest down. I started laughing, out of no where, at the stupidity of the situation. I continued to laugh, and it came to me.

It's stupid to get mad at this. They're just kids, doing the same things I did when I was a kid. They did it to have a little fun, spice up their life, and get a reaction. I realized that by taking it personally, I just made myself mad. I actually started having a little fun getting the rest of the stuff out of the tree. I ended up making it a game. By the way, for future reference, a water hose with a jet stream sprayer seems to destroy any left over toilet paper.

The point here is to not let things like this get to you. It's so easy to get mad when you feel victimized, but there's really no point. You must realize that things happen, whether you like them or not, and your role in it is to learn to deal with it. In this situation, I didn't feed into the negative response. If you let negativity feed off of your emotions, it begets more negativity.

Remember to turn the other cheek. That's how you beat the Archons.

Peace to you.

3 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice post. I agree completely. it's easy to get overly pissed off in those situations...and in the end you have to realize that by getting upset and blowing a fuse, you're just "setting yourself back" even further than you were before you started.

For me, the key is to sort of seize the feeling in the moment, and then just completely sweep away my own personal anger about whatever it is that I'm mad about...just imagine it being crumpled up like paper and blown away... and just analyze it. Not for a long time, but for a second or two...and after that "stir fry analysis" I'm able to see how ridiculous it is to get overly angry about stupid crap. Clarity actually becomes a "force" of sorts rather than an absence of anger and I'm in a better spot than I was before I started.

Besides...like you said, sometimes you learn a lot from being forced to deal with stupid crap.

nice blog!

-Magic Grubb

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Joe Daher said...

Thank you.

Just make sure you don't sweep away your anger into a pile. Once built up, it can explode.

Anger is another form of energy, so it won't just die out. The next step would be to mutate anger into another emotion, one that has positivity as a side effect.

Welcome to the Blog. ;-)

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home